Fighting Styles, sometimes called martial schools, represent the unique collections of maneuvers developed over time in each of Altera’s major cultures. Each enjoys many powerful advantages, and they build on combat traits and weapon & armor combinations.
While not generally magical, Fighting Styles may be subject to Drain Natural effects, rendering their abilities useless for the duration of a Drain. Some Fighting Styles may have magical abilities that would instead be affected by a Drain of the appropriate source, or a general Drain Magic.
- Draganian Guard: The traditional fighting style of Moragon’s elite defense force. The Draganian Guard fight with a large shield or tower shield and spear. The effectiveness of the style is primarily based on working together to create a bulwark against any aggression.
- Folded Blade: This mysterious school emerged very recently. Not much is known about how it began, but humans and Celestials have both been seen using its unique sword arts to battle the demon hordes. The style focuses on a single, bastard length sword wielded in two hands with no impediment.
- Kalari Monk: An isolated aesthetic from the remote regions of Mathruradu. Kalari is an “unarmed” fighting style utilizing the body. This school focuses on evasion and strafing teaching the disciples to use extremely precise strikes on opponents who are otherwise distracted.
- Knight of the Fallen Vigil: Hailing primarily from Altera, these knights are the reformed order that once held the charge of protection of Altera, shattered when the demons took the capital.. Fallen Vigil Knights rely on skill with medium or long one-handed weapons, medium shields, and all the armor they can bear.
- Panava: Proud and dramatic arena fighters of Mathuradu, that also often hired as guards, mercenaries, or soldiers. Panava is a style that favors two-handed weapons and medium to light armor.
- Scorched: Clever and quiet, these caravan guards turned spies and information gatherers have only recently been revealed to the world at large. Not much is known about their methods, but other nations are desperate to learn from, and sometimes poach, these agents.
- Zabin Hunter: The Zabin have their start in Calakmel but have spread to every corner of the world.The Zabin work in small cells to track and kill the monsters when the rest of the world cannot even admit they exist. The Zabin are often skilled trackers and specialized in various types of esoteric lore, using no armor and ranged weapons.