There are many forms of defense and inherent ability to withstand damage in Altera Awakens. The most common of these are Armor, Shields, Shells, Vitality, and Defense skills.
Armor always decreases by 1 each time it takes damage, regardless of the amount of damage, and any damage over the armor’s current value passes through to shells, vigor and then the target’s body. If struck with a non-damaging effect such as Dexterity Hobble the armor does not interact with this effect and you would take the effect as normal. However, if something attacked you with a Hobble 3 with a damage number attached to the hobble your armor would prevent both the damage and the effect.
Shields will stop all physical strikes along with any carrier effects. If a strike with a non-magical effect hits the shield this effect is stopped, provided that the effect does not directly target the shield. Shields that possess a Spell Value (SP) can also reduce the potency of magical attacks. Spell Values can also be gained or improved through high quality production skills or magic.
Example: Janet is fighting with a Small Shield (SP 1) against a horde of goblins. Her shield is struck by a series of separate Fire Shard 1 spells; she would take no damage (she should call “Reduce” to let attackers know her shield is holding, if possible). However, when the large goblin throws a Fire Shard 4 at her this damage is only reduced by 1, and remainder passes through her shield and she takes a Fire Shard 3 to the arm holding the shield. This causes no damage to the shield itself, but if her arm is Wounded as a result, she will be unable to wield it and benefit from its mundane or magical protection.
Shells are the next ‘layer” of defense beneath Shields and Armor, and are reduced in value by one point for EVERY point of damage taken after any armor has been taken into account.
Vigor is treated like extra wounds except that their loss does not incur any detriment or disability such as inability to use a limb, unconsciousness or bleeding. When found in monstrous creatures or powerful beasts, Vigor is sometimes called Toughness or Resilience.
Example: A Draconic Warrior enters the fray with, Heavy Armor 5, Earth Shell 3, and Vigor 1. He is immediately attacked by Ice Demons calling “Ice Crit 3”.
- 1st Hit: Armor absorbs all, is reduced to Armor 4
- 2nd Hit: Armor absorbs all, is reduced to Armor 3
- 3rd Hit: Armor absorbs all, is reduced to Armor 2
- 4th Hit: Armor absorbs 2, is reduced to Armor 1, 1 passes through Armor but absorbed by Shell, Shell reduced to 2
- 5th Hit: Armor absorbs 1, Armor is Breached, 2 passes through but absorbed by Shell, Shell reduced to 0 (dispelled)
- 6th Hit: Vigor absorbs 1, 2 Wounds taken to hit location
Frostblight the Ice Demon stalks the town with 5 Toughness, when Sir Arman spots him and attacks with his set of “Brutality Crit +1” (Brutality Crit 2 when wielding a sword, for example)…
- 1st Hit: Frosty’s Vigor absorbs all, is reduced to 3.
- 2nd Hit: Frosty’s Vigor absorbs all, is reduced to 1.
- 3rd Hit: Frosty’s Vigor absorbs 1 (Arman is out of Brutality Crits too), 1 damage passes through to the appropriate hit location*.
* If this is a limb, that limb is useless (no wielding, blocking, tosses weapons/packets, or moving in the case of leg).
* If this is the torso, Frosty is out/down (Critical and Bleeding Out).
Defense skills allow the user to perform maneuvers to deflect or avoid harm simply by “calling” the defense skill’s tagline, automatically negating a wide variety of attacks and effective (magic, physical, ranged, natural, etc).
In the case of special attacks, these may be the only protection available.
Only three Lesser and three Greater defenses total may be called per “combat” up to the number the character possess. However, the character is free to choose which combination they use.
Some common Defense skills include: Parry, Dodge, Side Step, Spell Flux and, Counter Spell. These skills often require prerequisites that must first be met before then can be learned or utilized.