Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Spellstrike

Pages:12

Spellstrike seems to be an uncommon method of spell delivery (perhaps why I am having some difficulty in-play & finding it amongst the rules for clarification) but largely seems to function the same as a packet.

As I understand it:

Magic counts as a hit if it strikes any part of your person, weapons and shields included.

Does magic damage bypass armor? Shell? Vigor?

Can Spellstrikes be parried? Dodged?

Auberon Kral, Larana

Hey Josh,

It should be there but I can't find it right off the bat either so we may need to add that to the list of things to update.

Here is the my thought while we work on getting it posted:

Spellstrike:

Weapon functions as both weapon *AND* packet.  If the weapon hits it still causes base damage to location struck.

Just like packets the weapon will deliver the spell effect if it connects with any valid location, including clothing/capes.  Shields can still block direct damage effects based on the type of shield.

Spellstrikes cannot be parried.  They can be dodged.  They can be Spellfluxed but you still take the 1 point of damage plus the 1 point of damage from the actual weapon.

Let me know if that helps!

Scott~

Scott Casteel / Altera Awakens Plot Committee

That absolutely helps, thank you.

Auberon Kral, Larana

Errata updated.

Arden Makepeace, House Verinfall, Moragon (Altera Awakens Webmaster)

Still takes base weapon damage? So, if I need to heal somebody with a spellstrike healing spell, shaman thinking here, then that person will take damage while healing them? I assume I need to add "Flat" to the magic tag?

Vladimar Grobov, Moragon

You can call Flat if you are swinging.  If you just lay a staff on them across a shoulder or some such that is obviously not an attack you can just call the spell.

If there is a doubt always call "flat" but we do allow for in play context and such.

Scott~

Scott Casteel / Altera Awakens Plot Committee

Sorry for the confusion but this is not accurate. Spell Strikes do not deliever damage the spell effect replaces the swing. This was changed in the previous rules update becuase trying to resolve something like spell strike fire shard 2 would be a pain. Do i take the 1 first then the 2 or do i take 3 as a single hit... as you can tell this opened a can of worms we did not want to have. For that purpose if you hear a spell strike you only need worry about the effect called not the weapon swing.

Isaac Shaffer / Altera Awakens Plot Committee

Ok, is this a valid summary then?

1. Spell Strikes do not deliver damage. The spell effect replaces the swing.
  2. Just like packets, the weapon will deliver the spell effect if it connects with any valid location, including clothing/capes.
  3. Shields can still block direct damage effects based on the type of shield (or did this only apply to the "weapon damage" in the original post, i.e. Some flavor/variant of "Spell Strike Shard" could be blocked by a Shield with sufficient Spell Defense rating).
  4. Spellstrikes cannot be Parried. They can be Dodged. They can be Spell Fluxed (and by extension Counter Magic'd) but you still take the 1 point of damage (from the Spell Flux).

Does that all sound correct?

Arden Makepeace, House Verinfall, Moragon (Altera Awakens Webmaster)

Sounds like the simple way to say it is, if someone calls Spellstrike, then their boffer weapon becomes a big fat packet for that swing.  🙂

Sir Dog, House Verinfall, Altera

1) Yes

2) Yes a Spell Strike Resolves exactly Like a Packet

3) Yes if a Shield has a valid Defense such as "Mithril Shield" or a Spell Protection Level High Enough.

4) Yes

So in Summary Yes that is correct 🙂

Isaac Shaffer / Altera Awakens Plot Committee
Pages:12