Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Fighting to Destroy Shield

I believe this came up at an Opening Ceremonies at some point, but not sure it every made it on to the web site or rulebook, but is this a correct remembering of the "Fighting to Destroy Shield" rules:

1) The Attacker must call "Fighting to Destroy Shield X" before each weapon swing where X is the attack counter (not damage).

2) Each of these attacks must physically strike the target's shield to count (not bounce of a weapon, be dodged/parried, blocked with a weapon or strike the target's body/limbs).

3) If a "Fighting to Destroy Shield" attack is interrupted by any of the means above, it is reset to 0 (but can be started again from scratch).

4) When 7 successful and successive "Fighting to Destroy" attacks have been landed on the target's shield, it suffers a "Break" effect.

Did I get that right?

Arden Makepeace, House Verinfall (Altera Awakens Webmaster)

I'll get back to you asap.

Isaac Shaffer / Altera Awakens Plot Committee

Ok sorry, it took me so long I knew this had come up with our rules committee so I had to go back and make sure I was remembering it correctly.

Short Answer, NO, we do not have fighting to destroy shield rules in Altera Awakens.

Long answer,

We by choice decided that we wanted to play shields the simplest way we knew how strong in physical combat weak against magic. The larger the shield the better it is in physical combat the weaker it would be vs magical effects. Adding a non-magical way that any enemy could attempt to break that shield seemed unnecessary and against our overall design for shields. Also as some of you may have noticed we tend to mix in both forms of combat rather heavily accenting this weakness of shields. When it comes down to it if it becomes necessary for PC's to break a shield or NPC's to break a shield we rather have a cool ability be used than an obscure rule that is very unreliable.

ie  6 swings and then they call a parry and you have to start all over again 🙁

I hope this sheds some light and information on this topic and I apologize if wrong information was given out.

Isaac Shaffer / Altera Awakens Plot Committee

Thanks, appreciate the clarification!

Arden Makepeace, House Verinfall (Altera Awakens Webmaster)