Forum

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Demonyms

Curiously, not a question about what to call a demon. 😉

A person or thing from Mathuradu is Mathuradan (per Scott in the G+ community).

For the sake of my overweening desire for consistency, would it be possible to get official demonyms for other countries? Particularly for Calakmel, I've seen and heard almost every conceivable recombination.

Many thanks!

We as plot have almost always simply called them "demons".

Now, that said there are a few things to consider.

All such terms are considered in play information based on cultural understandings.  Different cultures may in fact have different terms for them.  I am all about cultural diversity on such things.

That said we as plot also make no promises that what has up until now been labeled a "demon" is in play accurate.  There are a few places where there are some quite intentional disconnects between in play information and oop information.  Since some people are already poking at this I will go ahead and highlight one thing.  Under the racial trees all abilities have "name of race" as part of their ability.  "Fae sense magic"  "Elf Shatter"  "Dragon [type] Shard 1" and so on.  Until you get to Demons.  Their verbal specifically says to call Elemental [effect name]" not "Demon [effect name]".  Huh.  That's strange isn't it?

Just like any other of the elder races it will take research and time to learn the technical definition of what a demon really is or is not as well as proper names and terms that they use in reference to themselves.

We strongly encourage our players to create terms and labels as they see fit.   For instance we have a lot of monsters that are currently unnamed and you the PC's get to decide what they are as you encounter them.  You decide that the deformed pale faceless things are all called "Faceless"?  Cool.  Call them "Touched"?  Sure.  Call them "Hippopotamus"... eh ones that are not thematically appropriate may magically just not stick.  But over all, players have really wide latitude to use whatever names they want for things and spell them however you want.  You guys are leading us on that sort of thing.

Scott~

This is not a question about demons. This is a question about the adjective form of places, when used to describe people or things from that place.

Thanks, and sorry for being confusing in my initial question.

B

OH!

Sorry.

People from Larana refer to themselves as Larani

People from Moragon refer to themselves as Moragoni.

People from Mathuradu refer to themselves as Mathuradun.

People from Calakmel are generally referred to as Calakmites.  Those with even lose familiarity know that the people of Calakmel typically just call themselves "The People".  We trust everyone's role play judgement as to whether or not you would know that.

People from Altera refer to themselves as Alteran.

Scott~

Unless they are trying to blend in.

Then they’re Calakemeleons

I'm so glad I was right about Larani. Not sure if i just went with what sounded right or if I remember it subconsciously from some lit