No player can start with Research Theories and they do not require character points to receive in-play. Research Theories are loot for your mind. Players are awarded theories for module success or for IBGA research and can use this in their appropriate research as if they were are lore but most importantly theories can be used in the creation of new items/spells, patterns, and more structured permanent Lores. Players can use a theory to greatly expedite any line of ongoing research if it is appropriate to the theory. With an appropriate level of teaching can share this theoretical knowledge with others.
Lores represent basic knowledge that a character has in the appropriate field of study. Lores do not have levels. All Lores are Plot approved and must either be purchased at character creation or found in-play. Most people can only learn Lores by being actively taught them from a teacher who also has the Lore. It requires specialized training on the fundamental ideas of how to learn and study to be able to effectively research your own Lores using observation or found text props.
All Lores are effectively equal and do not have levels to represent competency. Instead, Lores develop “Specialties” which are additional branches of related study that may provide a more in-depth understanding of a topic.
- A Lore in World History might later specialize into [Nation Specific] History which may then specialize into Pre-Exile [Nation] History and then further specialize into Celestial Influences in Pre-Exile [Nation] History.
Lores may be used to help evaluate or discern the basics of a specific in play item by use of the Investigation mechanic, each Lore grants Investigation per game only geared towards that Lore skills topic, and may be used in IBGA for a more detailed study.
Investigations are very short and focused periods of study were characters can examine a specific object using their in play knowledge during a game. Investigations must be Marshaled at all times. Investigations are either Academic or General. Every character regardless of Academic ability may participate in one investigation General investigation per day. All Investigations are limited by the following restrictions:
- No more than three people may participate in a single Investigation.
- Investigations must declare the specific question and goal of the Investigation at the start.
- Bad Investigation question: “Tell me about this statue”
- Good Investigation question: “What are the magical attributes or abilities of this statue?”
- No player may Investigate the same object more than once per game.
- Investigations must be of specific effects or objects. Investigations may not be used to examine the larger cosmos, philosophical ideas, or broad reaching metaphysics of the game world. That is what IBGAs are for.
General and Academic Investigations change after this base rules set.
- Are limited as a per day ability which can only be increased with the basic Academia skill Wealth of Knowledge.
- So long as one person involved in an Investigation is using a per day General Investigation ability all participants may use their total level of Academia, applicable Lores, Crafts, Production skills, magics, or any other appropriate skills. All levels of Academia always apply and stack with all investigators however only the highest tier of other skills (tracking, production, magic, etc) apply. Those non-academic skills do not stack.
- Are based strictly on the single highest Academia tier and all appropriate Lores. In Academic Investigations levels of Academia do not stack.
- These Investigations are in addition to a General Investigation but are still limited to no more than 3 people, cannot investigate the same object a second time in the same game, and cannot investigate broad concepts.
The effectiveness of Lores and Investigations are both impacted by the Academia skill: